The history of this church is relevant because it is a living history. It's membership reflected the hopes, dreams, and aspirations of the newly freed slaves. Now, we, their descendants, declare our pride in their accomplishments and bodly state that on their shoulders we have stood and will continue to stand in this the 21st century.
Alonza Barfield, son of slaves used to proudly say that St. Paul was established seven years after freedom. Officially in 1868, this church had its beginning on land donated by a white benefactor. The first pastor was the Rev. T. Crayton; the first scribe was T.S. Clowers and there were 146 members.
The church later organized in keeping with the A.M.E. discipline. The first cornerstone was laid September 28, 1912. Since then, many changes have taken place and several ministers have faithfully served this church and community.
Under the pastorage of Rev. Earlston DeSilva, we began using the Robert and Mary Solomon cottage as our parsonage, burned the mortage, upgraded the PA system, used a central budget computerized system and made physical changes to the interior and exterior of the church.
With Rev. Dr. Gloria Wicker, our first female pastor, other changes were made notably the publishing of the Church Gazette, extablishing our Web site and using the parsonage to house our clothing and food bank.
Our current minister is Pastor Maria A. Gordon. This is her second year at St. Paul. Subtle changes in our order of service, adopting Mattie Wells Elementary School to serve as roving readers, greeters, and in other needed capacities. A new pianist was hired when our long standing pianist, Mrs. Fedora Patterson retired.
St. Paul-Clinton is a small and dynamic church trusting in God for spiritual renewal and physical growth. Our doors are always open and waiting to embrace and welcome you to our family.
The church motto: "Disciples Growing Spiritually Stonger Together"